In knee osteoarthritis there is roughning of tissue(cartilage) that covers ends of knee joint bones. Loss of smoothness in this tissue causes painfull knee during movement and weight bearing.
Knee osteoarthritis is classified into:-
A) Knee Pain – specially on weight bearing, during ascending & descending stairs.
B) Knee Stiffness :-
Stiffness occurs more in morning.
C) Limitation in movement of knee joints
Diagnosis made on the basis of sign & x-ray report (X-ray :: of knee – AP view & Lateral view).
1) Swelling of knee joint.
2) Pain along joint line on touching (palpation)
3) On joint movement makes a crackling noise (crepitus)
4) Range of motion of knee joint is reduced.
X-Ray Report :-
(X-ray :: of knee – AP view & Lateral view)
1) Decreased joint space
3) Decreased bone density
4) Deformity in latter stage
Treatment of osteoarthritis :-
Can be done with Medicines (NSAIDS) , Physiotherapy and Surgery (Knee repalcement surgeries).
Physiotherapy for osteoarthritis:-
Line of treatment
0) Cryo therapy (Application of ice at knee joint)
Twice a day for 15-20 minutes of duration
– A small supply of current is passed through joint to stimulate the muscles which reduces swelling & pain in area. It is called interferrential therapy (IFT).
– Electrical muscle stimulation (EMS) is done by D.C current, the position of electrodes is changed to muscle motor points for strengthening of muscles. EMS is not a compulsion of treatment it depends on condition of muscle in patient`s body.
–Ultra sound Therapy (UST) It is done by 2 ways :-
A) Simple use of ultra sound therapy for normal pain.
B) Ultra sound frequency is used to insert the pain relief chemical (Diclophynic gel), which penetrates to certain extent & eases the pain and swelling.
– Iontophoresis Here ions are inserted through electrodes to relief the pain.
2) Exercise Therapy
3) Manual Therapy
Caution :- this needs to be done by Physiotherapists. Please consult your doctor Or contact-Us.
4) Lifestyle modification
Click here to read more.
6) Taping Techniques
For pictures please see here.
Done by using adhesive tape in case of knee diseases. Please contact your physiotherapist Or Contact us for detail.